Tuesday, February 5, 2008

I'm becoming a better blogger. I got off my laziness habit and brought myself to writing this blog; my second in two days which is an improvement for me after going about a month since i've written.

Nothing too much happened to me, just a normal school day at high school fulfilled with homework projects and annoying teachers that piss me off. But i have to say that one of my teachers mr. nuccio differs from the usual teacher description. I admire that. rather than teaching through the book, everyday is a lecture from his own personal knowledge of the topic that we are learning about in school. Although it got sort of annoying at first because we would have to read the textbook on our own and we do not get any grades back at all during the year, his alternative teaching method has actually gotten to my liking. I feel as though he changed my way of thinking in high school and more importantly my way of learning. My attitude towards going to school changed also, as there are some days where i look forward to attending his class. there are even times where i find myself wandering around manalapan high school just looking to have a conversation with the guy. How can one person be such a major impact and influence on somebody you ask? well you'll have to meet him for yourself just to see how.

In this blog i intended to accomplish two main points; the first one being to mention one of the best teachers i will ever have in high school, and the second one is to talk about being different. Mr. Nuccio has a different way to teach his classes and it seems to be very successful and have astoundingly impressive results. The students he touched in his lifetime are endless. Anyway, today i had a really long amount of time to think because i didn't have anything to do after school because i couldn't get to the gym today. So the thoughts of what i would do after high school crossed my mind. I opened this blog with Mr. Nuccio's different style of teaching to express how one can be different and still be successful.

The story goes that we go from grade school to high school. then to a good college. then get a job. then marry and have a wife and kids and live happily ever after. right now i have an opinion about that. total bullshit. maybe i dont want to go to college. maybe i've had enough of this whole being educated crap. or maybe i will go to college. but maybe i dont feel like getting a job that i'll have to live with for the rest of my life. going from college to sitting in an office building all day does not sound fun at all. when college is over, i'm expected to get a job and become an adult. but there's a part of me, some tiny voice in my head thats telling me to be different and don't do what everyone else is expecting you to do. dont go along with what society expects you to do. be different, be yourself, and be happy. i dont know where i will end up, but today i have the thoughts that all of these expectations are not meant for me individually to follow and maybe one day soon when i am able to i will divert from the master life plan i have been following all of these years and do what will make me happy.

i saw the bucket list a few weeks ago and there was a line in the movie that really made me think. Morgan says, "Well, the first question they ask is, 'Have you had any joy in your life?' And the second question you're going to be asked is, 'Have you brought joy to others?'" well living according to society and the path your parents want you to take might not bring on the two answers i would like for those questions. the two questions sort of go together i think, because you get joy in your life by bringing joy to others. and i dont know that much, but thinking about it i dont see too much joy in sitting at a workplace with a job on a schedule all the time. maybe i will follow the expectations everyone and society makes; i'll go to college get a job settle down with a family and live happily ever after. but maybe there's a different road i will take that will make me happier and be able to answer those two questions better. right now i am not sure. im still in high school on the long journey we were forced into when we were young and started school. but there's this strange feeling i get sometimes that when eventually i am fully able to make my own decisions i will be different from everyone else. i guess we'll just have to let fate do its part and see what happens.

(i feel like a writer now, so i'll use the name on my birth certificate to sign since its sounds more like a writer).


-Joshua Miles Siegel

No comments: